So I’ve recently acquired the time to finally update the website with a ton of the recipes posted on my Instagram feed over the last two years. Don’t follow me on insta? Check out @CaitiesCooking for frequent updates and mini-recipe posts!
I’m starting with one of my most-requested, absolutely favourite recipes to kick off the updates! Jalepeno Pomegranate Chicken Wings.
These wings are fabulous, and easy to make. They’re oven baked, so while this is a pretty hands-off recipe, make sure you leave enough time to get them nice and crispy. Technically these wings are suitable for those of you who eat paleo, dairy free, and gluten free diets.
Let me know how they turned out for you in the comments below!
Jalepeno Pomegranate Chicken Wings
Serves: 6 – 8
Active Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 45 Minutes
Pop the wings in the oven first, then make the sauce while they’re cooking to save time, or you can make the sauce in advance and freeze it for up to 3 months.
- 6 lbs Skin on Chicken Wings
- 2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- Optional for garnish: chopped jalepeno peppers, and fresh pomegranate seeds!
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Toss together in a bowl or large ziplock bag, trying to get the wings evenly covered in baking powder.
- Place two baking racks atop unlined baking sheets (you can use foil, but do not use parchment paper, for some reason it doesn’t turn out right!) and begin to lay the chicken wings out, skin side up. 6 lbs of wings should just barely fit on two half-sheets, its ok if they’re touching, so long as they don’t overlap.
- Bake in the bottom third of the oven for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Move the sheets to the top third of the oven, change the heat to 425 F, and bake for another 40 – 45 minutes. If your wings are small and not very meaty, stick to 40 mins, if they’re thick and juicy, use 45.
- Remove from oven, and toss in a bowl with your favourite sauce, or the sauce below, and garnish if desired!
Jalepeno Pomegranate BBQ Sauce
- 1 L Pomegranate Juice (Unsweetened is best, but either will work)
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Jalepeno Hot Sauce*
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch, tapioca starch, or arrowroot flour
- Simmer your pomegranate juice until reduced by about a third. Drop heat to low.
- Whisk in mustard, vinegar, chili powder, hot sauce, and a pinch of salt.
- Create a cornstarch slurry by mixing the starch and 2 tbsp water in a bowl, then whisk it into the sauce.
- Simmer until desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
* Make your own Jalepeno Hot Sauce by whizzing 1 – 2 jalepenos, 1 clove of garlic, 1 tsp salt, and a quarter cup of white vinegar in a blender. Pour into a saucepan and boil it to desired consistency, 3 – 5 minutes. Will keep in a glass airtight container for 4 – 6 months.
Enjoy these wings with a crowd, or keep them for yourself! Let me know what you think below.